Skip to content
Home » What Car Insurance is Required in Oregon?

What Car Insurance is Required in Oregon?

  • Published
  • 3 min read
What car insurance is required in Oregon?

If you drive in Oregon, you need to carry insurance. At the minimum, Oregon law requires that car owners carry these minimum coverage limits:

Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability Insurance (25/50/20)

  • $25,000 for bodily injury to one person
  • $50,000 for bodily injury to multiple people in one accident
  • $20,000 for damage to property in one accident

Uninsured motorist coverage

  • $25,000 for bodily injury to one person
  • $50,000 for bodily injury to multiple people in one accident

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

  • $15,000 in PIP coverage per person

What other types of car insurance should I have?

While basic auto insurance coverage is required in Oregon, experts recommend additional coverage options to provide comprehensive protection. Here are some options that you may want to consider:

  • Collision Coverage. Collision coverage covers damage to your vehicle in the event of a collision, regardless of fault. It helps pay for repairs to your car after an accident, providing financial protection even if you are at fault.
  • Comprehensive Coverage. Comprehensive covers non-collision events, such as theft, vandalism, natural disasters, or hitting an animal. It protects against a wide range of perils that can damage your vehicle, excluding collisions.
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage. U/UI motorist coverage covers Injuries and damages if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who has little or no insurance.
  • Medical Payments Coverage. Also known as “MedPay”, this part of auto insurance covers medical expenses for you and your passengers, regardless of fault.
  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP). PIP covers medical expenses, lost wages, and essential services in case of injury, regardless of fault. It offers broader coverage than Medical Payments Coverage, including lost wages and essential services.
  • Rental Reimbursement Coverage. As the name implies, this insurance reimburses you for rental car expenses while your vehicle is being repaired after a covered claim.
  • Gap Insurance. Gap insurance pays the difference between the actual cash value of your car and the amount you owe on your auto loan or lease if your car is declared a total loss. It is helpful if you owe more on your car than its current market value.

Does all that sound confusing or overwhelming? We can help you navigate your way to excellent coverage at affordable rates. Just contact the Maps Insurance team at 503.779.1349., and we’ll walk you through your options. As an independent insurance agency, we can provide you with multiple insurance quotes from multiple carriers with coverages you can choose from. 

You are now leaving Maps Credit Union

Modal called incorrectly.